Followers

Sunday, February 7, 2016

1990 Brimley Michigan August 4 Saturday

1990 Brimley Michigan August 4 Saturday

    I am sitting on the bench in front of the cottage at Brimley eating the broken crumbs of chocolate chip cookies, drinking my Earl Grey tea, and contemplating change.
     Brendon and Christina are 19. They have graduated from Sir James Dunn as Ontario scholars, and Brendon with an award for the highest mark in history. “Canada in the North America contest” or something like that!
This weekend they are in Montréal orientation for McGill University, the college of their choice.
     Mary Jane and Suzanne are down with them, it is for the parents but John was playing so he couldn't go. Brendon got a scholarship to York and Guelph but McGill was his first choice. Brendon was out here once and Christina three times, once for her birthday. They have both been working. Brendon delivering for a pharmacy, and Christina as a hostess at Jimmy John's restaurant in the Water Tower!
    Joanna is sitting beside me eating her breakfast. She just got up it is 12 noon. We are the leftovers! Steven is in town working at First Choice Pet Shop where he is the tropical fish expert. Michael York has developed an aversion to cottage life unless he has a friend with him. The first week here was hectic. I had Rachel and Kyle, Dana and Joanna, Patrick Ryan no I'm wrong.
    The first week was Donna, Rachel, Kyle, Patrick Ryan, Joanna and Steven. Suzanne and Mary Jane were out here as much as they could as was John, and Michael Punch. Michael York came with his friend Jeremy Rebek.
    On the Sunday we had Adam Veale, the Veale’s, the Vena’s, anyway it was 19 for supper whoever they were. Dana, Joanna's friend, Michael and his friend Trevor, Rachel and Kyle were there the next week with others in and out by the end of the second week.
     I was very stressed out, different from being tired, the other stress is that Wilfred isn't driving. His glaucoma has worsened; he had a car accident, so he no longer has a license. That is another story, so we have to depend on other people to get him here. He still doesn't like the cottage, I'm not ready to give it up yet although there have been times this summer when I have questioned its value to the family and to me.
    Michael York has to have action, noise and action.  The stereo must be blaring even when he is on the beach. All the ones of his age or thereabouts, Joanna and Kyle need sound, but with Michael it has to be strident sound, loud, loud, loud.
Christina's 19th Birthday with Joanna


John Yorke on the Bongo's

Michael Yorke on the guitar
     I suggested that the last two weeks would be family week’s visitors by the day but not overnight so Michael hasn't been out since. Suzanne brought Vicky Muncaster, and she stayed Tuesday to Friday.
Angela Rachel Sarah and Joanna
 Angela Punch is here from Elliot Lake with Rachel, Kyle and Steven sometimes. It is been a very good week.
Suzanne and Jimmy on the beach.

Rachel Joanna and Michael

Steven watching the boats.

    Jim and Mary brought Wilf on Thursday; the others have been in and out at odd hours, so he hasn't been out here too often. In fact I took him in from here early in the week and suggested that he not come out for a few days. He was in his usual cottage mood, compounded by what he is going through emotionally from the shock of not being able to drive. I feel very sympathetic towards that loss, but I thank God that he wasn't killed, nor did he kill anyone else in the accident. However it isn't easy for him. Although he is supposed to be adhering to his diet, when he is out here he eats far too much and watches the children afraid that he isn't going to get more food than anyone. I mentioned gluttony to him, which was quite harsh, but I hoped that there may be some shock value, but unfortunately there wasn't!
      The weather has been spotty a couple of nice days and couple of bad ones. Michael Punch and Donna brought the “obstreperous” out and anchored across the bay at Bay Mills last weekend. Michael came and got me and I went over to the Anchorage, a lovely spot. We picked stones for my flower bed.
     Mary Anne and Lauren, Megan and Luke have been out a couple of times. Lauren stayed overnight one night with Joanna. She idolizes Joanna and Joanna is very good with her, makes time with her for her which is nice to see.
     I wish that I had kept this writing by the day. One night I was pretty tired so I took an extra strength Tylenol. I have been taking them every morning because my bones were aching more than usual.
     The next morning the young ones asked me if I hadn't heard the hullabaloo. Dana and Joanna were in the bed in the middle room, Trevor and Michael in the large room and I was in mine. The girls heard a noise thought it was a burglar of course and were terrified. Finally they had the courage enough to open their door; at this point they thought it must be Michael York and Trevor. So they peered into the hall at the same time that Trevor and Michael peered into the hall from their door! Together they approached the living room and there was another rattley bang! It wasn't a burglar it was a mouse in the bottom of the deep plastic waste basket. Michael threw the mouse outdoors and order was restored. I slept through all the commotion, but I did wake up about 3 AM and saw the light in the living room and investigated. The four of them were eating chips and drinking pop!  I grandmothered them back to their respective rooms.


     The gulls are feeding from the sandbar in front of me; the terns will come out next. I have only seen the cranes twice!  There is a woodpecker dining on one of the birch trees and there is a family of skunks between the road behind the cottage and the cottage. The blueberries haven't ripened yet, not enough continual sunshine but I have managed to swim most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment