Followers

Saturday, February 28, 2015

1987 April 24, Moving Day from McDougall St

 New Home 87 Carol Court


Moving Day from McDougall St
April 24, 1987

An Addendum to the last journal sent …

  So I am sitting in the sun, on the porch, at empty McDougall St. waiting for the trash man to come.  I have dusted the staircase for the last time – the oak panels, the newel posts with the carved oak urns.  It is a strange feeling – numb – because if I let myself really feel I will sit here howling like a banshee.  At 11 AM this morning the title to the house passed out of my hands.  I will be relieved when it is done.  Then I can concentrate on Carol Court as our home.

         The old lilac trees are sprouting their leaves.  Spring was always the time when this old place felt young again.  I used to go upstairs and open the south windows, and take deep breaths of the lilacs.  We always brought them with us transplanted from 235 Pim to 116 Church St to here.  There were four, but two died, and the two remaining have been so battered by the ice falling three floors from the roof, that they are at about a 40° angle across the side lawn.  The house is so quiet – so quiet.  I must not think.

         The daffodils are in bloom, and the jonquils, and the early tulips.  An early spring, this year, so I was able to enjoy the Scylla, and the English violets.

         At that point, three trucks pulled up, and began disgorge people and furniture.  Just as well, memories can be overwhelming.  But the furniture coming in was old style, beautiful wood, and the house will like it, and the family too!

         Now Wilf and I are meeting in the mall for a muffin.

         For every ending there is a beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment