Followers

Friday, February 27, 2015

1973 May 2, MICHAEL AND MANITOULIN






MICHAEL AND MANITOULIN
May 2, 1973

It is a grey day. We are headed for Manitoulin, with an Elliot Lake side trip where Wilf has to do some immigration work. It poured rain from the Sault (9 a.m.) until now (early afternoon). The sun has come out for a watery moment, but the dark clouds are forming solidly again.
I bought two rain hats (one cheapy one does not cover my head!) and a toothbrush in Blind River. This wasn't one of my better organized trips.
I worked until almost 8 p.m. last night, clearing my desk after a hectic day at work. Mother has bronchitis, so I sat with her for a while. Suzanne came down for a visit, and I sat with her. Mary came down and put my hair up at almost 12 midnight. She was impatient and tired and so was I. Never again! I packed, did a washing, and got Mom settled. I fixed her pillows ten times, helped her into the bathroom, gave her her pills, refilled the vaporizer, fixed her hair, and then went downstairs and had a glass of sherry.
  Michael came in, and asked me to call him early. He had to be at school (Sault College) at 8 am to get the bus that was to take his class to Charlevoix to tour a nuclear plant.
   This morning I got up at 645 am, took a quick shower, had my coffee and toast, got Wilf’s breakfast ready, pressed his trousers, and checked on Mother, gave her a pill, and a sponge bath and a back rub. Then I drove down to Mary Jane's to pick her and Brendon up, after having to prod Wilfred out of bed, and FORGOT to call Michael!
When I was pulling into the lane with Mary Jane and Brendon, Michael was roaring out in his battered Volkswagen, and the Black Irish, Michael Gallivan look he gave me, I will not forget for a long time to come! He must have caught the bus, because he didn't come home, If he had missed it, I would have left home.
I think I shall resign. I am not any more going to be everybody's alarm clock. If Wilf and Michael want to get up, they will get up on the first call, because there isn't going to be a second one. Not from me anyway! And of course, after all this running, Wilfred, serene and shaven, and fully packed, started to bug ME about not being ready!
   Dr. Greco called to find out about Mother.
RESULT:
I forgot 1) my toothbrush 2) Plans for M,J, and John's new house to show the Rheaumes 3) MY camera, and heaven knows what else, when I come to unpack. We are to have dinner with Wilf's family in Little Current and will drop in on Susan in Espanola. Tomorrow, we travel “The Island". Wilf has several calls to make at destinations I have never been before.  The weather is clearing now maybe it will be a good trip after all.

Michael Punch


1972 August at Joels house on the river2

No comments:

Post a Comment