Followers

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

1987 Pine Island July 20th Wednesday and Thursday

1987 Pine Island July 20th

 Wednesday and Thursday night, Steven, Rachel, Joanna and I were here and Friday, Christina, Tricia Ryan, Joanna, Amy Ryan arrived and Steven and I were here.
    Saturday night Suzanne came down with Tarryn and Steven went to Rennie’s overnight Sunday. They are going in so many ways!
Catherine came to get Tarryn and Rennie John and Steven took the sailboat into town. John brought Rennie and Steven back down and we barbequed. It was cold and damp in the cottage so we lit a fire in the acorn fireplace. It smoked but gradually settled down, and took the chill off. I came into town for the night and will pick Rachel up by 10:30 AM, and then we will go down to the cottage to relieve Suzanne. If it is nice and clears, Rachel and Joanna and I will stay for the night. I may bring them up for the night so I can go to the old Stone House advisory meeting at noon tomorrow.
    Mrs. Ross accosted Suzanne and said she and her husband had decided to charge us $50 a week more because we had more people than they had assumed we would have. Suzanne said that she said,” that was not acceptable” and enumerated some of our disappointments with the place: for example the fridge was not working, there was no swimming near the cottage, and she could've added the oven on the stove, which has a bad connection, and will only heat on one element. I burned my chocolate cake!  The landlady is trying to take advantage of me and I won't have it.
     I told her that there would be a constant flow of family and friends. I told her different family members would be staying, and the investment is $1000 for four weeks very high!
     She has succeeded in taking much of the joy out of my holiday. The first season and how many, 30 maybe, that I have been spied upon. We are taking excellent care of her property as we always do and I will be glad to be home.

Tuesday July 21st

I sat outside in the shade today-a breeze the sun hot. Last night I had Amy Michael Joanna and Rachel. They slept on pillows in their sleeping bags in the big room-squirming like worms, giggling. Michael got the mattress from the roll away but didn’t use it to sleep on –draped it like an awning from the couch over their heads. They finally slept about 1130 after I threatened that I would put Michael alone in the front room Rachel alone in the middle room. I knew that would silence them-they are all easily spooked and would be in horror of being alone in a room.
I relieved Suzanne, came down at noon yesterday. She stayed over on Sunday night and I went in to have a shower and wash my hair. I have only had one bath here-the second evening I think –anyway it was before Mrs. Ross’s first encounter. One of her complaints is that we would use too much hot water so I am extra careful and we bath in the Sault.
 Suzanne was accosted by her again.  Suzanne told her again that we made a bargain, and we were keeping our part of the bargain. She told her the stove sparked and sputtered, only works sporadically, and put a hole in aluminum tray and that was not what she had told us when we were renting. She had nothing else to say.
   Mrs. Ross hasn’t said anything else to me and I am the one she should be talking to. I paid her the $1000.00 and she cashed the check. Mrs. Ross walks to the end of her dock and looks back at our lawn where we sit in front of the cottage and I am sure she is counting heads. I wonder what her husband George thought of me being so delighted when I looked at the cottage, that it was a big old cottage with large sleeping quarters. He even showed me the extra bed on the back porch. Why would he think I wanted a large cottage if it wasn’t for family to enjoy?
    When Suzanne went home yesterday Steven went with her for a doctor’s appointment and to sleep the night. That left me without any way to get Amy Joanna and Rachel to swimming I don’t even run my own motor boat, so we drove to Women’s Institute Park on St Joe’s at Richards Landing. There is a beach and two rafts for swimming and diving. I then took them to “Nook and Cranny” for their mega sized ice cream cones.
    Steven came back today, and has been the ferry to the island for swims and rides. He is a great help, and seems to realize that Rachel is a bit “out of things”, Joanna is 10 Amy 13 and Rachel is not quite 8.
    On Saturday Suzanne insisted that I go with them to the Island-so I did. I swam, one of the only times so far. Right now there is a chipmunk foostering under the chair next to me. Rachel put peanuts out for him.
    Steven and Rachel followed an otter across at the little rock outcropping, I can’t really call it an Island. The rock is smooth with tall coarse grass growing out of its crevices. Sea gulls sit in the sun.
    There are four rocky pine crested islands. The children swim from one to the other. They can almost walk from one to the other but not quite.
    I meant to bring my wildflower book down. I have my bird book but can’t identify one slim brown bird smaller than a robin, not at all like a sparrow.
    The Toronto flight is going over.8:45pm. It is a lovely still evening. Steven is following the far shore. I could not have functioned without him and I am sure he is often bored. He referee’s the children’s fights not fights constant nattering. He barbecues and is pleasant company for me.
    Suzanne just delivered some groceries, picked up Michael, and was gone again. She works 3-11.
    I just finished “Light a Penny Candle” by Maeve Binchy. It made me lonesome for Mother and for Ireland. The Irish expressions I haven’t heard since Mother died. My Father used “eejit” for idiot, the simple Irish Catholic faith, the candles, the prayers, the simple rituals, and the male domination of women yet the matriarchal power structure of some families. Some of the expressions in the book were "let it stay that way" ( don't do anything about it),  "I've got the tea wet", "Eyes like two big holes in a blanket”, Strealish hair" a streel a slovenly untidy person, a child" a little love" just what Mother called Michael, "Let the little love be!".
   Suzanne read it and wept copiously. There was a male in it “Johnny Stone” who has the same moral standards –rather lack of them as her last boyfriend. The identical charm too. Or perhaps she was weeping for Mother-they had a great and close relationship. “Aileen” died in a scene that could have been mother’s room in the hospital that last evening.
    It is so pretty here. There is a tall purple marsh flower like a lupine but the leaves are not the same. I must bring my flower book down. There are birds busy in the marsh grasses-water lilies in the little curved bay (and blood suckers as well!)
    We are cut off without a phone. I was told I could use theirs but I don’t want any more arguments. We may move in early on Wednesday of the last week as Suzanne and Mary Jane are both working. We’ll see how it goes. In all the years of renting I have never felt so uncomfortable.
    Brendon is not down much this year and Christina complains about coming. If Steven is working next year this may be our last expedition. I will miss it! I have read “Until the Colors Fade” about the Crimean War, “War Brides”, “Golden Boy” (biography of William Holden) and “Light a Penny Candle”. Utter luxury to spend hours reading. I waken early but don’t move about because the children are up late and then sleep late.
Mary Anne’s two have the chicken pox so have not been down.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment