Followers

Saturday, January 23, 2016

1987 Pine Island July 22 Wednesday


1987 Pine Island July 22 Wednesday 

    Trouble settling them down last night but finally, Michael is on the roll away in the big room, with Steven on the couch, Rachel on the cot in the front room, and Joanna and Amy in the twins.
     Michael York and I are the early birds! I wake in early and usually read for a couple of hours. Today I decided to go outside. Michael was awake so we tiptoed and when he was eating his cereal at the table in front of the big window, and I was in the kitchen in front of the window, a great Blue heron rose from the marsh to the right of the cottage and flew across both windows to land in the marsh to the left of the cottage. A magnificent bird!
    We went down onto the dock to watch and sure enough he rose from the marsh and flew at his leisure across to the far shore. Then we sat outside and the Chipmunks came around. Michael scattered some peanuts and we waited. The chipmunks became bold and Michael held his hand still. We waited for 45 minutes and finally I think I got a picture of him taking a peanut from Michael's hand.
    It has been a good day. Very hot! Steven took them swimming this morning and after lunch we all went to Richards Landing all six of us in the Acadian, to the beach. I was sorry that I didn't take my suit it was so hot.
    The children had a great time. Steven is so good with them in spite of the fact that he says he's going to kill them all. He organizes them and looks like the Pied Piper with them strung out behind him. He had them racing to see who could run into the water furthest without falling and lead them from one raft to another diving jumping and doing head stands.
    He will probably be working next year and if so I don't know how camp will work out. Of course they'll all be a year-older but then so will l. I hope it can be arranged, I would miss it, I feel much better  then when I came down to the camp. It has helped me recover from the move from McDougall Street, which was both physically and emotionally draining.
    Wilf came down for supper, we are low on groceries, so Stevens gourmet camp dinner was not really what he expected Kraft dinner and wieners. He's a great cook, but the kitchen looks as if a tornado hit it. Whatever is used is not put away, tops off everything etc. etc. But I gladly clean up! He made rice crispy squares tonight for their snack.
    Kyle, Michael, Amy, Rachel, Joanna and Steven and me tonight. I have all kinds of cake and cookie mixes but the oven isn't working. We haven't heard from Landlady Ross. They were on the dock when Steven went past with four passengers and himself going to the island.
     Wilf says he isn't feeling very well, says that the heat has gotten to him, it is sweltering in town. The cottage is really hot this evening, we have a fan going at the front door and one in the boys room. The girls don't have one and feel much put upon!
    I got some of my slides back, I got a river scene, and the one of the big bubbles that the children were blowing when Jimmy was here.I think I missed the lightning but will wait to pass judgment, until I see the slides projected at home.
    They are all in bed except me writing and Steven watching TV. I will put out this light; it draws the bugs to the window. Last night the raccoons got into the back porch! There is only a screen door but there is a solid wooden red door between the porch and the small passage into the bathroom. Mr. Raccoon chose to scratch at the red door just as Steven was going past it in the dark on the way to the bathroom. Steven said it startled him so that he hurled himself into the bathroom, and slammed the door before he realized what it was that was attacking him!
     All is not quiet. Michael has just come out looking for a flashlight, and Rachel's little face just appeared in the opening of the other door and then disappeared.  The door is closed. There is a slight difference of opinion about the door. Joanna wants the door closed and Rachel wants it slightly open! All is quiet for the moment it is 10:30 PM,

 
Mom's drawing of the cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment